ASAA 2020 Forum and Exhibition
Forum Dates: May 27th through May 30th 2020.
Forum Hotel DEADLINE: May 5th 2020.
Hotel Information: Best Western Plus Savannah Airport Inn and Suites, 155 Bourne Ave., Pooler GA, 31322. Phone: 912-330-0330. Discounted ASAA rate per room: $94/ $129. (The higher rate is for Friday and Saturday nights.) Hot breakfast, free parking, and free Wi-Fi included.
Click here to download registration form pdf
ASAA Forum and Exhibition 2020 May 27th through May 30th 1
Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum, Savannah, GA USA
The Mighty Eighth will be hosting out exhibition this year, and we couldn’t be more grateful. This is an aviation museum that really appreciates aviation art, and we’re excited to spend the week with them. This year, we’ve chosen to shorten the schedule to accommodate the busy lives of aviation artists; however the time we are together is still packed with education, hands-on work, and lots of camaraderie with fellow artists. For those wishing to come early, the hotel discounted rate applies for the full week as well. Here’s what to expect:
• Registration: Registration will take place each morning from 7:00-8:30 at the hotel. You will be able to pick up your registration bags, shirt and name tags if you ordered them, exhibition catalog, and sketch book. By consolidating this activity, we’ve saved you an extra travel day and the expense of an extra hotel night.
• Wednesday: We will begin with our morning briefing at the hotel, pick up boxed lunches, and migrate to the museum for Gil Cohen’s figure drawing class in the Combat Gallery. Reenactors will be posing as our figures to give it a more historic true-to-life feel. We will have time to tour the exhibit as well and then reconvene at the hotel for a general critique session and a retrospective presentation, produced by Don Malko and given by Mike O’Neal on Bob McCall’s life and artwork. The opening reception will take place that evening at the museum in the Art Gallery.
• Thursday: Gil will continue his figure drawing class after the morning briefing, and lunch will be served at the hotel conference room. Russell Smith will give two presentations—the first on color palettes and charts, and the second on materials. After which, Gerry Asher will lead us in a spontaneous sketching exercise known as Telling the Story, where artists will use his words and their imagination to construct thumbnail sketches for future use. That evening we will have our business meeting and dinner in the Art Gallery next door.
• Friday: Marc Poole will conduct a plein aire class using the static aircraft outside the Mighty Eighth, after which we will return to the hotel for lunch. Our afternoon speaker will be Stephen Gardner, professor at Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) He specializes in watercolors, charcoals, and works extensively on-site in his sketchbooks. The remainder of the afternoon will be a free drawing and painting day.
• Saturday: Business practices will be the topic of the morning meeting, and lunch is on your own. The rest of the day is set for sightseeing, and the awards banquet will be held in the Combat Gallery of the Mighty Eighth, cocktails at 6 pm, dinner at 7 pm.
• Hospitality: Ye Bird and Star will be open each night for socializing and to house our unjuried show.
• Hotel Accommodations: The Best Western Plus in Pooler GA will hold discounted hotel rooms for us up until May 5th, so make your reservations soon. The discount applies from May 26th through May 30th. The hotel phone is 912.330.0330, or 912.335.5118. You can also contact them online www.masterkeyusa.com.
• Supplies: This is a forum with a strong emphasis on drawing and painting. You will be responsible for your personal supplies, but for those who are traveling, we will have odorless thinner for use. Please bring a drop cloth, easel, and all other supplies you might anticipate.
• Weather: Savannah is hot at the end of May, so please come prepared for the heat and humidity. The hotel and museum will be air conditioned, and that might mean you’ll need a light jacket while inside. But when we are outside, please plan on sunscreen and lots of hydration.